Friday, January 21, 2011

Making Lemonade

This evening on the way home from dance class we dropped Lexi off at her friend's house for a sleepover.

Ellie was aware that this was happening, because Lexi hasn't talked about much else for days.  But when the friend's big sister took Lexi's place in the car, with a pillow in tow, it dawned on Ellie that everyone was having a sleepover but her.

But, of course, my children are calm, rational people, so we were able to discuss the matter in our big girl voices and without tears.

Yeah, right.

What actually happened is that she wailed and sobbed inconsolably for a minute or two before gaining enough control to hear me when I reminded her that sometimes she gets to have playdates and her sisters don't, and sometimes they get to have playdates or other things and she doesn't.  "That's just life," I said.

And she said, "Oh, yeah?  Well, life is dumb!"

******

My original plan was to end the post there, because it's funny, but in the time since then, Ellie has decided that it's okay if Lexi has a sleepover with Anya and Vicki has a sleepover with Kate, because she's going to have a sleepover with no one!!!

She dragged her sleeping bag and the elephant tent out of the garage and has cleared a spot in the horribly messy bedroom so we can set it up for her.  She's going to camp out on the floor and have a fabulous time, and she says being by herself isn't going to be a problem at all, because she'll have her stuffed animals to keep her company.

After the "life is dumb" comment, I asked her if she thought all of life is dumb.  Her first response was a very stubborn "Yes!", but when I asked if life is dumb when she's playing with friends, or reading stories with Daddy, or eating yummy food, she had to admit that it's not.

And apparently that's all it took tonight to turn her lemons into lemonade.

It's good to remember that yes, sometimes life is dumb, but most of the time it's actually pretty awesome.

And, of course, sleeping in the elephant tent, even by yourself, is way cooler than sleeping on a dumb old bed.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is the BEST post! Yes, sometimes life IS dumb (I'm in a total "life is dumb" mood today), but we all get over it at some point, right? Maybe I'll camp out and have myself a sleepover with no one tonight, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am personally involved in this episode as Kate's dad. Glad to hear Lexie was looking forward to the event.
    But I am the youngest, so I know how Elie feels. It is no wonder that I have learned to entertain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story! We all need to remember that life is mostly awesome, even though sometimes it is dumb. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I pity children having to learn about life's lemons, but you handled it well! I admire you so much as a mom! :) It made me laugh that she had a sleepover by herself! Something I would've done. Way to go, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story. I have to say I think we all feel like life is dumb sometimes.Good for her for making the best of a hard situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing Ellie-isms. She has a great view of life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...